Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Confessions of a Torn Republican

I have torn feelings at the end of this election. I voted for McCain but only because his ideas more closely agreed with mine. I didn't think he was the best man for the job either. I don't know a lot about Obama's positions on things but I know he has some very radically liberal ideas. I know there are a lot things he believes in that I do not. He doesn't have a lot of experience behind him either.

At the same time I can't help but be very happy for him as a person. I don't agree with his political views but I don't think he is another Hitler or a person who hates America as I have read so much about on the internet. I realize I don't know what results will come of his election. I may come to wish I never wrote this blog entry but for now I chose to be optimistic.

I can't help but feel very happy for what his election stands for. President Bush put it well in his speech this morning when he said that his success represents the American dream. This means a lot to a lot of people. I was teary eyed listening to Obama's speech last night and to President Bush's this morning. Politics aside I feel proud to be an American and excited about the historic step this country has taken in voting for an African American as it's president.

4 comments:

B.K. Stanley said...

My sentiments too.

Unknown said...

You're awesome. It's nice to have someone refrain from the bashing.

Rebekah said...

It is definitely a great step for our nation. Hopefully he will be more middle road as President and select good advisors to make up for his inexperience.

Trooly said...

Definitely DITTO!!