Friday, July 07, 2006

Swim Lessons for Lincoln


This year I have three kids in swim lessons. It is at 4:30pm (because I signed up so late) which is not a good time for Lincoln because he is either sleeping by then or grumpy because he hasn't taken a nap yet. I signed him up for Pre-school 2 which means he should be comfortable with the water. He has decided that this is his "I am afraid of the water" or "I am afraid of the teacheer" summer.

He usually is ok with people he doesn't know that well, and with water. I guess it is the combination of water and stranger that makes him sit on the side of the pool refusing to do anything the class is doing. The teacher keeps stretching his arms out to him, encouraging him to join. He just shakes his head and remains stubbornly on the side of the pool sucking his thumb and twisting his hair.

The first day of class I decided maybe I could help. I made it much worse and learned an embarresing lesson that day. So, I remain up in the observation room cringing every time he shakes his head at his teacher. If I had signed him up for the class he should be in, (the one where the kid is supposed to be afraid of the water) I wouldn't be half as embarressed or concerned.

I really should be more patient and understanding since I can't swim, This is because when my brothers learned to swim in their swim classes I freaked out and my mom couldn't bring herself to force me to do it anymore. So, I hope that by allowing him to sit there by the pool he is learning something. Maybe he is getting more comfortable and by the end of next week he will have made $35 worth of progress, even if it is all in his head. Next time I will sign him up for the morning and for preschool 1. To his credit, every day he goes willingly to the side of the pool and is excited for his class.

2 comments:

Andrea B. said...

Good to see you back. I hope by the end, Lincoln will have got in the pool once.

Andrea B. said...

By the way - super cute picture of the kids.