Thursday, February 05, 2009

Lotion 101

I learned something interesting from our dermatologist that validated all my beliefs about hand lotion. I don't think it helps me, and it didn't because I was using it incorrectly.
I had heard before that lotion works better if you use it right after washing your hands or bathing. I didn't always remember to do it then so I would do it when I would think about it or desperately needed it. I didn't know that if you put lotion on dry skin it actually seals out the moisture. It acts as a barrier to moisture going out and in. So it does more harm than good. Huh! A piece of information that you don't see on most (any?) lotion bottles. I am moving all my lotions next to my sinks I guess. So far I have been impressed with the difference.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I knew the first part, but not the second. I always lotion-up after a shower because I love body butter, but it's spendy, and when I put it on right out of the shower, it smoothes on better, so I use less of it. Frugality and health working hand-in-hand.

Unknown said...

I had heard that lotion works better after you shower or bathe. But I hate putting it on then because I feel like it gets slimy when wet.

Rebekah said...

Interesting. I use lotion right after the shower if I think about it and then during the day when I need it. I shall be more conscious about using it right after showering now. Thanks.

Neener Dog said...

I have heard that you should use it right after showering, but I never heard why and so I never did. Now I know and can attribute my future softer skin to you. Thanks! Is it the same thing with chapstick?

B.K. Stanley said...

That is interesting Kristin. Thanks for the heads up and now we will all be softer.

Heidi said...

I have really dry skin and my children's doctor told me about this great lotion that has really helped my hands. It is the fragrance free Curel with green on the blue bottle. I used to have to lotion my hands all day to keep them from cracking and bleeding and now I just have to use this lotion every night at bedtime after I wash my hands.