Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Physics Lessons from Ender

I just finished reading Ender's Game for the 2nd or 3rd time. I actually can't remember how sad is that.
I loved it. A little darker than I remember but very very good. The most surprising thing I got out of it however was a little reminder in physics and motivation. I have been trying to figure out ways to stay on top of "the wave" of house work and there was a scene in the book that helped me out with this.
Ender goes to a school that teaches boys how to be fighters and commanders. They teach them through games they play in rooms with no gravity. He learns early on that in order to be in any control of his movements where there is no gravity he needs to push off with quite a bit of force. Some boys in his group just let go of the wall and drifted. They tried to move but couldn't get where they wanted to go.

What did I learn from this? If I want to accomplish anything in a day I have to start off with a push. I really can't sit down at the computer or go back to bed, or pick up a book at 9:05am and really expect to accomplish a whole lot that day. It might happen if I am really lucky but I shouldn't be surprised at all if I end that day feeling like it was total waste.

For the last two weeks I have been following this advice and I have accomplished more in the last week and a half than I have in a long long time. If I start productive, I can even take a break and nap or read or sit at the computer for a while and I will still bounce back later. Amazing!
Thanks to Ender's Game, I was reminded of the basic rules of housekeeping physics. Those who start working, stay working, people who are unproductive, stay unproductive.

6 comments:

Amber Rae said...

hmm..I shall have to try it.

Rebekah said...

Awesome object lesson. I notice that too. On the days that I have to be out and about with the kids are the days I get stuff done. True, I feel like I was hit by a truck by the end of the day, but man I get stuff done. The days I loaf around I still feel like I was hit by a truck, but nothing is done. Go figure.

Shell said...

So you're saying that NOT getting up and getting going is NOT going to get anything done? Huh. Who'd'a' thought. I guess I'm gonna have to start getting up and going in the morning. Yuck.

Heidi said...

I totally agree! Today I'm exhausted so I took Jack to school and then tried to take a nap on the couch...and tried...and tried. It is now almost 2 o'clock and I am still exhausted and haven't gotten anything done. If I get up and start with my chores right away, I get much more done and I feel much better throughout the whole day. My morning walk usually helps me with this but my friend couldn't walk with me today so I skipped it.

Sarah said...

I love the phrase housekeeping physics. You're absolutely right.

The first time I read Ender's Game I threw the book across the room when I finally figured "it" out.

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

I've noticed the same. My intention is to only be on-line while I'm eating breakfast or lunch but I few hours later I find myself still on the computer with nothing done around the house. So today when I woke up I decided that I would not go on the computer until I'd completed my must get done today tasks. I accomplished loads and still had time to be online.