Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My mother's pearls

Today I received a great surprise. For Christmas Tim bought me a Jewelry chest. I have a dresser but I always use the master bath instead to do my hair and everything because of better lighting and access to plugs for curling irons and blowdryers. We gave that to Elisabeth. TIm thought a jewelry chest would fit in our closet better and fit my needs more approriately. I finally put this jewelry chest together today. I thought to myself...I really have no jewelry to put in this thing and I am not the type to buy jewelry or really want most of it. It will serve my purpose for other stuff. It has two of those doors, one on each side, that you put necklaces in. I definitely don't have enought of those to fill two. I couldn't even fill the one on my dresser.
I started putting the few items I have into the chest. I then decided to see what was in a bag of my mom's jewelry she had when she was alive. It appeared to have one or two fancy pearl necklaces...not quite my style. I was wrong however. It had 6. Most of them are very simple which is the rare sort of jewelry that I alwasy thought I would like to have. I was touched. It feels good to have something of hers, that reminded me so much of her. Jewelry with sentimental value is far more valuable than jewelry that I just buy to wear. I now have many pearl necklaces in my jewelry chest, more than fits in one side of the necklace hooks. I couldn't have discovered these at a better moment. Thanks Mom. I love them.

No comments: