Friday, January 11, 2008

Post Holiday Depression (aka January)

January has got to be my least favorite month of the year. First of all it is cold and dreary and depressing. The snow that I loved until Christmas day is no longer adding to my festive mood, because after Christmas the festive mood is gone. I want to progress and do other things, get my house cleaned and restock healthy foods after eating so much crud all of December. The cold weather makes it hard to go out and face the outdoors and icy streets. I don't want to get out and exercise and get the little bit of sunlight there is and the fresh air I need. This gives me serious cabin fever. It makes it even harder when me and my children were sick so even if I want to go out, I know I shouldn't.

If cold and dreary weather was not enough there is the Post Holiday Depression. I have to deal with the fact that I no longer have anything to look forward to, until Valentines Day at least. No more fun Christmas Carols, no more pretty lights, no more parties and treats. At the same time you are left with the damage from all the parties and treats you just indulged in. So January depression sets in.

How do I get myself out? I decided first of all not to focus on my faults with my new years resolutions. It is always stuff like exercise more, eat less junk food, write in my journal more. Stuff I end up failing at. This just adds to my depresion next year when I read them and see how well I did or how poorly as the case usually is. This year I have decided to concentrate on others.

No, I don't mean I plan on concentrating on the problems of others or helping them with their resolutions. "Hows that book coming along?" or "Let me eat that ice cream for you so you can keep your resolution to lose weight. That is MY resolution!" Unless people actually want that. Somehow I doubt it.

I mean I want to be more of a blessing to other people. I want to be more thoughtful, less selfish. I want to be quicker to listen and slower to talk. I want to surprise my kids by not yelling at them when they think I am sure to or saying yes to reading or playing a game, even if I have loads of house work to do. I want to make sure Tim knows how interesting he is to me and that he is still my favorite person in the world. I want my friends to know that I think they are awesome and want to be there for them and be with them.

I want them to know this not because I typed it just now but because of my actions and words. When the weather is gray and life is tedious and depressing, a hug still feels warm. A smile still brings sunshine. An "I love you" or "Thank you" from my kids has got to be one of the best gifts I get all year round. Knowing that I made someone happier makes me feel so much better about my day. Even if I didn't mangage to get out of my house for the third day in a row.

No comments: