Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The End of an Age

Yes, turning 8 is an exciting age. You, get baptized, you start going to scouts or achievement days and last but not least, you give up the booster seat. For me this is a big one. We had 3 booster seats in our van up until yesterday. Two of them are the backless, light booster seats. The third was a convertible car seat.

It was heavy, (it is the blue one Sam is sitting in) had a big back, arm rests, and an annoying base that makes it hard to buckle . When it was a car seat, with the harness in it, it took an hour to put the harnesses back in after it was washed. Believe me, with Sam, it was washed more than it's fair share. I have been counting the days until I could rid of that annoying, yet life saving contraption. Now that Elisabeth is out of the booster seat I take a deep sigh of relief. The first thing I did the morning of her birthday is take that thing out.

When I look back and see the inside of the van, it obviously no longer caters to the needs of toddlers or infants. I feel a little veklempt. I am saying goodbye to something. It is the end of a stage in our lives. Even if it was not an easy one and I am glad it is over, it is over. The age of infants and toddlers is now over (assuming God doesn't have any surprises up his sleeve.) Now it is the time of pre-schoolers, school agers, pre-teens, teenagers and beyond. And I thought toddlers were hard. HA! !

6 comments:

Amber Rae said...

Wow! That is a new stage, the middle age stage:) just kidding. Wait until there is no car seats in the car! Our car is completely full of car seats...next car is going to have to be a minivan and we'll join the thousands of other Mormons driving minivans.

Unknown said...

This blog makes me want to cry. The pediatrician told Madison she may well be married before she weighs enough to get rid of the booster seat.

Kristin said...

Can't she legally do it at 8 though? It seems the rule is a certain weight or be eight which ever comes first. Could you get some thing for her to sit on to make her higher that doesn't make her feel like she is sitting in a booster seat? Sorry to bring up soar feelings. :(

Kristin said...

Amber, Minivans are great. Don't fear the minivan, it is your friend.

Heidi said...

Are you saying that Sam no longer needs a harness? In Virginia they have to use one with a harness until they are 4. I can't wait until December when Joshua can move to a booster! Ethan is 16 months old and still doesn't weigh 20 pounds so he is still in the baby carseat that faces backwards. I weigh him every couple of weeks hoping to be able to turn him around but no such luck. I just weighed him last night even. The doctor said I shouldn't rush it and that I should leave him facing backwards for as long as he is comfortable that way because it is much safer.

Kristin said...

I thought I would have to keep him in a harness longer but the instructions for the seat say if his shoulders are higher than the highest shoulder slot than he is too big for the harness. I was delighted to see that his shoulders were higher. His weight is right at the limit too.