Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Sense and Sensibility- I can think of two things wrong with the name of this film

. . . at least when it comes to the casting.
I just watched "Sense and Sensibility" I remember when I saw it in the theater and I cried for like 1/2 an hour afterwords. Poor Tim. . .Poor Trooly. They were there too. Although I definitely shed tears this time as well it was definitely not the sob session it was for me last time. I had some serious issues last time and the movie seemed to have brought them out.
I like that the movie made me cry. That is a plus for me, really.

What I did not like is that the end made me grimace a bit. I saw nothing romantic about the marriage of Alan Rickman and Kate Winslet. I think they are both great actors...well Alan Rickman at least. . . I have no real opinion of Kate Winslet but I couldn't help but feel sorry for Kate's character none the less. Snape (Harry Potter) and Rose (Titanic) ???? Come on!!!

I also found the uniting of Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant a similar match. I didn't feel sorry for either of them but. . . they just don't make the perfect couple some how. I usually enjoy Hugh Grant's performances but this one kind of bugged me. He was almost painful to watch.

1 comment:

Trooly said...

I so agree; the actors were each brilliant in their roles, but there wasn't any real chemistry between the actors to make you believe the characters were supposed to be together. I saw an earlier version that did that aspect of the film much better.

When did we see it together? I don't remember seeing that film with you; I do remember sobbing for like two hours even after the movie was over, though. I must have been too wrapped up in my own misery to notice yours... What a dung-heap of a friend!