Friday, September 26, 2008

Feeling Peachy Keen


Today I did something new and adventurous for me. I canned peaches. It came out to 7 quart size jars and 11 pint size jars. Don't ask about the uneven number...something about how many I had left from last year plus a new case.

I killed two birds with one stone today. Not only was I able to store a bunch of peaches for later use but I also cut down on the amount of peaches we will have to dispose of in our backyard. Maybe that will cut down on the fruit flies too. Last year we had just moved in and there were conflicting reports on whether our fruit was safe to eat due to spraying for the Japanese beetle. This year we know it is safe and it has been like the garden of Eden going into our back yard and plucking a perfect peach right off of our tree.

I want to thank my wonderful mother-in-law BK who taught me last year how to can with the apricots in the back yard of our old house. Even better, she wrote down the instructions so I followed them and as far as I can tell it all turned out good. I guess it is just up to the taste test to give me the final verdict.

Now that the peaches are done I need to figure out what to do with my apples and how to juice grapes. I have never done either of those so that will be an even bigger adventure.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Good for you! That is an adventure! For the apples: applesauce?

Kristin said...

Do you need any special equipment to make applesauce? Is it easy?

Rebekah said...

Oooh, how fun!! So you have apple and peach trees on your property, nice! You could try making apple pie filling and bottling that. Then you could make apple pies and apple crisp really easily.

Sarah said...

I don't know how to make it. I was only making suggestions. I'm very unhelpful in that regard. That apple pie filling is a good idea.

Kristin said...

I just found a very doable recipe for the apple pie filling on the internet! I LOVE the Internet. It is good for some things. Thanks! Apple sauce requires a sieve. Maybe next year. Or a food mill.. hmmmm.

CarrieAnne said...

For what it's worth...I find that the apple pie filling is good as an idea but that it makes for a mushy apple pie. (The fruit gets cooked twice.)

I would dehydrate them if I were you. I've even got two that I'm not using right now and I could show you how to do it. It's insanely easy.

Andrea B. said...

Good for you. Now, you'll just have to teach me!

Kristin said...

Andrea, it is super easy, do you want me to make a blog of the steps?