Monday, March 16, 2009

So You Think You Can Make It in the Real World 3100

That is what they should rename the Career Prep for Behavior Science Majors class that I am taking. The class has no tests, and no reading homework, but it is the most mentally and emotionally exhausting class I have taken so far at UVU. It has been at least three times now that I have come home needing to be seriously comforted and cheered up by Tim. This is so incredibly humbling. I took the class because I knew I needed to learn these things. The whole getting into graduate school and finding a job was so mysterious, scary and intimidating. I was pretty sure I was poorly prepared. This class has taught me a valuable thing. I was right! I AM poorly prepared. I should be intimidated, VERY intimidated!!!

I just took a practice GRE practice test online today (one of the assignments for the class) and looking at the questions. . . mostly the math ones, all I could do was laugh (or cry). I never planned on taking the GRE without a class first. Thankfully U of U's MSW doesn't even ask for it if your GPA is good enough so I didn't have to take it for that.

It was no revelation to see how hard it was, but still, I don't enjoy being reminded how little I know. Especially when my house is as trashed as it is after being sick for 5 days straight. I needed one more reason to feel like crap today. Don't we all?

Last week we talked about applying for graduate schools. I learned all the things I should have done before I sent my application off that morning. On the bright side of things I did learn one thing that made me smile.The teacher handed out a timeline to follow for filling out your application etc. It said it should take 4 months to do what I just did in 3 weeks. No wonder I almost had about 15 nervous breakdowns in the process!

Tomorrow in class we will be discussing the things they are judging me on when they look at my application. Considering today was the deadline for turning in applications for the program I applied to it seems very appropriate. I hope Tim is ready to be giving me some serious cheering up. Having kids in bed before I get home (at 7pm) wouldn't be a bad idea.

4 comments:

Shell said...

Wow, Kristin, I can't tell you how much I admire you for what you are doing. Whenever I spend any time on BYU campus, I always wish I could go back to school--but not have to meet anyone's expectations. I miss the environment of learning and being around other people, but to have to study and do assignments and take tests--not at all certain I miss that. I hope it all goes well in class and with the application to grad school.

Unknown said...

Oh I feel for you! Too bad you missed girls night. I hope you're feeling better. I sounds like you're going to be needing a girls night soon!

Kristin said...

Thanks for the encouragement! Michelle, What are you doing up at 4;15am?!?!?

Andrea B. said...

Well, we all need a little humbling. I hope you realize that it is not as bad as it seems. Good luck with it all!