Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Wouldn't it be great if. . .?

This evening I was feeling stressed about grad school again when Sam's face came to my mind. I remembered how I thought it would be great if we had 2 boys and 2 girls. I thought that would be the perfect family. God had a better idea. He gave us Sam. I couldn't love another child more than I do Sam. He made our family perfect. We have been in no way cheated.

I remember when Tim was applying for a job in Kansas city. I thought "Wouldn't it be great if Tim got this job?" I was very stressed about him NOT getting the job because Tim hated his present job so much. God had a better idea. He gave him the job he had applied for a year earlier, the one he wanted the most. It took a few more months but it was worth the wait. We have been in no way cheated.

I remember having a horrible crush on a guy in high school. I remember thinking "Wouldn't it be great if he liked me and we got married some day? God had a better idea. He gave me Tim. I still know this other person and am glad to call him a friend, but he doesn't have half as much in common with me as Tim does. Tim is my dream come true. It took a few more years but it was worth the wait. I have been in no way cheated.

Right now I am thinking, "Wouldn't it be great if I get into graduate school?" I am getting all stressed about the idea that I might not. I need to have faith that if I don't get in, it is because I am supposed to do something else. This stressful application experience is helping me in some way, even if I don't know what it is. Maybe I will learn the thing I need to work on before the next time I apply. Maybe I am supposed to attend a different Social Work program. I need to have faith that if I don't get in to grad school this year, I am not being cheated. God has a better idea and it will be worth the wait.

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

Thank you Kristen. You have no idea how much these thoughts have helped me tonight. They are an answer to prayer. I too need to have faith.

Kristin said...

I am glad it helped you too. The realization was also an answer to my prayers.

Sarah said...

What a lovely post. So very thoughtful.

Robin said...

This was a really insightful post and I hope it will come to mind often as I wade through the challenges of life. You are awesome!

Andrea B. said...

So true. It's hard to remember that in the moment though, much easier to look in the past.