Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"Chinese" Food


Last night, as I waited in the car for my kids to finish piano class, I read an article in Readers Digest (yes I read it, and I love it) about "Chinese" food ("The Fortune Cookie Chronicles", by Jennifer 8. Lee. Nope that isn't a typo. It really is supposed to be an 8 according to RD) Amonng other things I got from it was a craving for Chinese food.

I suggested (demanded) that we eat at the chinese buffet for dinner. At first Tim was all for it..then as we got closer he started acting less enthused which put the weight of the decision on me completely. He remembered that eating out on a weeknight, (the same week as Valentines so we will prbably eat out again) and eating buffet style are both behaviors that aren't getting us closer to our goals (of staying in our budget and eating healthier.) I didn't fold though, I chose to ignore our goals.

The article brings up the fact that American Chinese food is very unlike real Chinese food. I think I knew that. It also said that Fortune Cookies are an American invention. I knew that too. The most interesting thing I learned from the article was what the "P.F." in "P.F.Changs" stood for: "Paul Fleming, the creator of Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar and founding visionary of Chang's restaurant chain." I had to chuckle. Here I thought they were abreviating it becaue it was too hard for us Americans to pronounce. Takes some of the culture away from it doesn't it?

Anyways, there is a good Chinese buffet in North Orem on State street if anyone is interested. It has a Mongolian Barbeque to boot. It was worth the money and the guilt buffet.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Interesting. I'll have to ask Ben if he knows what the P.F. stand for. I know he's eaten at Flemings steakhouse before. Now I want Chinese food. In fact, I want Great China food. . .looks like it's time for a trip to Utah. ;)