Sunday, February 03, 2008

A Fond Farewell


I know this is a week late, but I like to think about things a while before I try to express my feelings or thoughts. A week ago today Gordon B. Hinkley, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and more importantly, Prophet of God, ended his mission on this earth. I was surprised by feeling choked up when this happened. I have never felt this way when a prophet died before. President Howard W. Hunter was one of my favorite prophets, but I didn't feel quite this way when he passed on.

Gordon B. Hinkley became the president of the church when I had been home from my mission for 1 month and it was another two months when I met Tim. He has been the president of the church as long as I have been a wife and mother. It is kind of unnerving to have him gone.

He was the president of the church when both of my parents died and I think I have drawn comfort from his presence through these losses. I think he has been an honorary grandpa to all those who loved him. I will miss him, but I am grateful for the Gospel and the knowledge that the work of the Lord goes on without him as well.


My favorite story about Hinkley was the letter he recieved from his Dad when he wrote home complaining what a waste his mission was. "Forget about yourself and go to work" was his father's answer. He did this the rest of his life, even after his wife died, even after he was diagnosed with cancer. What a great example he was of work and selflessness. How happy he always seemed to be. I think he knew the secret to a happy life. Work hard and forget about yourself. I hope I can always keep that in mind in my life.


Here is a tribute I found on Youtube that I liked a lot because it has a lot of his own words and testimony. (I apologize for the pretty but slightly annoying song in the background.)

No comments: