Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Retreat

Well, actually it was Tim's retreat (Last Thursday and Friday) but because I was invited as his spouse, it turned out to be just as much if not more so a retreat for me than him. The timing was perfect since his parents were here from out of town for the month so I knew my kids were happy and safe and sound with their grandparents. Thanks Tim and BK!

Time for me to brag a little about my husband for a second. At UVU they have this special forum where they take the up and coming leaders of the school staff and take them under their wing. Train them and get to know them better. You have to apply and they pick 13 of those who apply. Tim was accepted so I am really happy for him. I keep teasing him that according to UVU he is "a straight shooter with upper management written all over him " (Office Space)
The retreat was at "Daniels Summit" up by Heber. A beautiful resort in the middle of nature. Tim's meeting started at 1:00pm and went 'til about 3:30pm. I was able to check in to the room when I got there so I spent the time reading, watching TV and eating my favorite treats (Oreos and Cheetos) Now I ask you. Who really had the retreat? The person in the meetings or the person sitting on their butt licking cheetos off her fingers?
We had free time for 3 hours and were encouraged to enjoy some of the nice stuff to do around like horseback riding, getting a massage, or going on a hike. We visited the general store watched a little TV, and took a nap. Later at the dinner when everyone was comparing what they did a I felt a little sheepish but I wonder how many of those people had small children at home and could really appreciate the worth of these activities as well as we could.

There was a chuck wagon buffet that was delicious then Tim and I went swimming in their pool and jacuzzi that was open 24 hours a day. We were alone for most of the time.. I guess everyone else was pooped from their massages and horseback riding.

The next day I had to check out at 11am and Tim had meetings til 3:15pm. I took a short hike on a path through some meadows but felt unfortunatly vulnerable all alone in the woods. One of the few things that makes me curse being a woman in this world.
I read a lot in a cozy chair in the lounge and ate at a resturaunt for lunch. The food was nasty but that was ok. It still felt fun. I have never eaten at a sit down and order restaurant alone in my entire life so it was pretty cool.

It was nice to have all that alone time but as much as I would like to say I came home a mother with more patience and tolerance for my kids. . .I am afraid it didn't accomplish miracles. It did however it kind of make me realize that kids do make life more interesting and fun. Strangely enough I would have felt less afraid walking in the woods with them too. Lincoln's every present voice would have warned away bears too.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Kudos on eating alone in a restaurant. I have yet to do that. Several times I almost have, but I've always thought I'd look so silly and lonely. Perhaps if I had a good book to read and I could be there for a couple of hours just enjoying a really leisure, quiet meal and alone time. I think the restaurant would kick me out though for not having a high enough money/time spent ratio. Sounds like a really fun trip.

Andrea B. said...

Glad it was a nice retreat for you. And I agree, it was more of a retreat for you. Sounds like you had a great time. Glad you could go and not worry about the kids.