Saturday, July 12, 2008

True Confessions.

Today I brought shame upon myself, upon my spouse, and our children, and our children's children down until the 7th generation. I went to a pool and did not ride the waterslide. T0 most this looks like a summer wonderland of fun. To me it looks like something from "Dante's Inferno"

Over the years I have developed an aversion to waterslides. You see, I am not much for speed when I am not in control of how fast I am going,(unless it is a car or plane or something similar) , or the sensation of falling (I don't like roller coasters or even ferris wheels for this reason) , or drowning and I can't swim. So you can imagine how delightful waterslides are for me. To be totally honest the whole experience is truly terrifying. Everytime I try it, it does nothing to avert my fears and insecurities. I feel a little bit less scared of that slide, and might go on it again but only if I am begged to, and I wouldn't say I really enjoy it the second or third time. I am just a little less scared of it.

Every year when Tim's family comes for their summer vacation we end up going to one of the pools or water parks in the area and I get talked into going on a water slide. I do it to humor Tim and there is one that is tolerable, but I slow myself down the whole way and give my arms a rugburn to slow down enough at the end to be able to slowly get off the slide and into the water.

Today was the first of those parks and even though all 4 of our kids LOVED the slides and rode them multiple times with Tim and his dad and brother-in-law. I told Tim. "I wont go on waterslides with you, but I produce children who will." I refrained. I felt bad but I just couldn't talk myself into it and neither could anyone else. I know I am a wuss. I am not proud of the fact. Am I so bad for not wanting to? Even the ones I can tolerate, I don't enjoy. Maybe I should start a waterslide haters annonymous. Thank you for letting me get that off of my chest. I feel a little lighter for the confession. The first step of the repentance process.

6 comments:

Robin said...

Nothing wrong with not liking something you do not like. We all have our fears and insecurities, and however great or small those seem to other people, to us they are always bigger than life.

I used to LOVE rollercoasters. I still go on them when we go to amusement parks, and I would say that I still LIKE them, but I love them less than I used to. I think having kids has done that to me. Either the thrills have been overcast by fear of malfunction, or more likely it is that I just find being jerked around a little less pleasant than I used to and a little more annoying and/or painful.

So, no need to repent for not liking waterslides or even just not liking everything the rest of your family likes. There are things, I'm sure, that they dislike that you don't understand, either. Embrace diversity. And eat dark chocolate.

Kristin said...

Tim seems to see it as his mission to make me like water slides so kindly harrasses me the whole time. It is all with good intentions. He thinks I would be happier with less fears and he is probably right. . but I fight it.

Sarah said...

I like your comment that at least you produced offspring who like the slides. I'm totally using that!

Rebekah said...

You're aversion to fast moving things with drops sounds just like me. I'm so glad to know that the next time we frequent a water park together I will have a companion for the Lazy River.

Andrea B. said...

Isn't that interesting. I just can't imagine not wanting to go on a water slide. But alas, to each his own. Good thing we're all different.

CarrieAnne said...

I don't like roller coasters or crazy water slides either.

I HATE that stomach drop feeling!!

I LOVE the rides that have you going around and around, it's the up and down ones that I dislike.