Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I am seeing a trend!


I have found, chances are very high that after I ask or tell one of my kids to do something they don't want to do they will somehow hurt themselves, "accidentally" they say. Somehow they become surprisingly clumsy. Stubbed toes, tripping, slipping, running into wall, falling down a few stairs on their bum. Perhaps it comes with the tantrum they are thowing or shuffling away in frustration leads to more stubbed toes. I have such split feelings when they get hurt like this because it happens at such opportune times SO OFTEN!

I really have to wonder if it is some kind of ploy to get out of doing the task required of them. At the same time they really are in pain, I don't think they are faking it. Thankfully it is never really serious so they end up doing the task anyway. That is why I think it isn't concious at least. They have never gotten out of their chores because of these accidents but they do get a few minutes more to recover and be comforted. Is it just my kids or do you notice this with your kids too?

5 comments:

Robin said...

So, what did Sam do to his arm, and what was he trying to get out of doing? :) No, I haven't noticed this trend yet with my kids. Mine just outright refuse and get their butts smacked on purpose. ;)

Robin said...

P.S. You have such beautiful kids, and that's cool that you and Tim have a blonde, a red-head and 2 brunettes. Such genetic diversity--I love it!

Kristin said...

That picture was taken Summer 2007. Sam had fallen off the bunkbed ladder. I thought the picture was funny because 3 of the kids had something hurt... considering what I was talking about but not really related. Elisabeth isn't actually a red head...I am assuming you are referring to her. she does have some nice red highlights her brothers don't.

Rebekah said...

I haven't noticed the 'getting hurt to avoid work' ploy yet but considering who the father of my children is I think it's just a matter of time. ;)

Good for you on not letting them out of the chore. They'll figure out soon enough that bodily harm or no bodily harm they still have to work so they might as well do it pain free from the start.

Kristin said...

Rebekah-I am guessing that if they are Ben's kids they are going to use the migraine ploy. . or at least headache.
Robin-I looked at that picture closer up and can totally see why you think Elisabeth is a redhead..her highlight really show a LOT in that picture. Yay.I have redhead. . .even if it is just to a degree