Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Unsolicited Balloon Artists

The other day we were at Golden Corral with Tim's family. We were just eating our dinner when this guy comes up and says to our kids.. . . "Your still eating. . . I'll come back later." He does come back later and starts making balloon art for our kids. We thought that was cool. Then we saw on his shirt a button that says "I work for Tips, Thank you" I suppose we should have doene something to stop him or something but we didn't think of it and that would have just won us over with our kids. Thanks for putting us in an ackward situation. Tim and I looked at eachother in dispair when we made this realization at the same time. We had no cash and wouldn't know how much to give him if we did. Then Tim got up and left to get another plate.
It was good art and the kids really liked it. Tim's family was with us and the guy made something for our nephew too. Sooooo...if you don't have cash. . what do you do? The guy actually came back after leaving for a while...and just kind of lurked. . .I was the only adult who could see him sitting behind Tim and his Mom and Dad...so I just sat there cringing in my seat thinking, "What are we going to do?"
Tim's dad was our savior there and handed the guy a tip. The balloon guy excused his lurking behavior embarresed saying "I am just watching my work being enjoyed."
Tim suggested next time we go to Golden Corral that he wear a pin stating "I don't tip unsolicited Balloon Artists. Thank You"

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I would have felt ackward too. I mean, what are you supposed to do? When he comes by your table, are you supposed to tell him in front of your excited kids that you don't want them to have any balloon art and hoping one of them doesn't make a scene about it? I would have felt ackward but I would not have given him a tip unless I really wanted to. Also, I would have probably mentioned the whole thing to the manager on the way out. He needs to know how his customers feel. You may have gotten a free or discounted meal!

There is a balloon guy at our local Chick-fa-la sometimes. He gladly gives each child (and adult) a free balloon creation and I've never seen him get a tip. He does however give you his card stating that he is a magician and does birthday parties. Along with this he gives you a sheet on magic tricks you can do at home. : ) Much friendlier approach!

Rebekah said...

We had that happen at Fuddruckers once in Chicago. We didn't see the tip button until after the girl started making the balloons. It does put parents in an awkward situation. I wonder how many complaints businesses get from parents when they let a balloon artist work. I do like Tim's idea of the new button. I doubt I'd have the guts to wear it though.