Monday, October 27, 2008

IKEA: House of Horrors

Elisabeth received a coupon for a 3D Spook house at IKEA. We had no idea what it was and we decided to go check it out last weekend. Immediately upon entering the store we started looking for some signs or something to show us where it was. I saw a group of people go by. I heard them talking:
Person 1: Should we go upstairs?
Person 2: No! I don't want to do the maze again!
Foolishly I assumed because we were there for the Spook House , so was everyone else. I said to Tim.
"Hey . . . you should ask them. . .it sounds like they just came from it." I thought to myself "It must be a little scary if he doesn't want to repeat it. "
Tim then enlightened me that "The maze" is most likely in reference to the show room upstairs. I can be so oblivious. Now that I write this it so obvious.

The spook house is good for little kids but but a little cheesy. It is a big tent set up in the far corner of the parking lot, furthest from the store itself. There is a sign at the front stating "NO REFUNDS" Not terribly promising is it? It was fun to see kids reactions and it was probably just perfect for them. Nothing too scary. The kid's school gets $5.00 from what we payed so it is a school fundraiser too. There is a lady waiting at the end looking apologetic. She says
"You guys can go again if you want." What was said in the tone of her voice but not in words was
"I am sorry. I know it isn't that great and maybe you think the $25 dollars you just spent was wasted. Maybe if you do it again for free, quantity will make up for quality." We did it again. I don't think we will want to repeat it next year. I think the maze in the upstairs of IKEA is scarier. It is certainly harder to find your way out at least. As the famous song Hotel California goes "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. . ." at least not without spending a lot more money and time than you planned to going in.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Aw well, just chalk it up to a charitable contribution to benefit public education. Maybe the money will be used on something really cool for the school?

I still have yet to visit an IKEA...even though there is one about 10-15 minutes from our house. Someday I'll go...if only to try the Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes. And I will thank you for that. :)

Andrea B. said...

You guys are kind, I promptly threw that coupon away!