Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Powers that Be

Have you ever wondered how to get rid of the hard water deposits and scum around your sink drains? Or anywhere? I mean besides getting a water softener. . . My mom taught me a secret the last time she visited my home. I have been noticing a nasty ring around my drains again and thought I should try it again. It always amazes me how well it works and how easy it is. Yeah...I need a life.
Anyway. Here is a before and after. I wish I had thought of taking a before and after picture before my last sink.
The secret? Vinegar. Let it soak for a few minutes. If it doesn't come off, wait some more. Ok. . . some of you may already know this, but for those who don't. Now you do!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome. I did not know that.

Rebekah said...

Vinegar is marvelous and so much cheaper than CLR. I use it to scrub up the shower caddy I have when it gets scummy. A little vinegar and a coarse scrubber brush and that thing looks good as new.

CarrieAnne said...

Vinegar? But it smells so bad!

Is this why people always "clean" with a bottle of the stuff? I thought they just liked their houses to stink.

Apple cider, white or what? Does it make a difference?

Kristin said...

I have only tried the basic. You would have to experiment. It smells funny but at least it isn't toxic . I find it isn't a smell that lingers.

Heidi said...

I'll have to try it on my tub. I was just about to buy CLR but this would be cheaper and I hate using chemicals.

Thanks!

Kristin said...

Absolutely do it on your tub. Be patient with it though. That is what my mom told me about it for. It was really caked on because I had a drippy faucet and it really built up. But it worked very well in the end. To get vertical spots...soak a paper towel in vinegar and stick it to where you want it to work.

Andrea B. said...

Love those kinds of tips, thanks!