Sunday, May 04, 2008

Adventures in Shaving


Shaving my legs had lost its thrill. (Maybe if I had a deck that over looked a lush green forest then it might be more fun. Nah... shaving is shaving.) I still do it every other day, but it used to be when I shaved I had super silky smooth legs. I remember as a teenager telling my big brother David, "You will never know the feeling of clean shaven legs against cotton sheets." He responded, "Oh yeah, well you will never know the feeling of really hairy legs against cheap polysther sheets." (I dont' know about really hairy legs but I know the cheap sheets with unshaven legs.) But I havn't had that silk on silk sensation in years. I thought it was just part of getting old and living in the desert. I was wrong. It is part of getting cheap.

You see, years ago, I don't know how many, I decided to stop buying shaving gel and just used my body wash as a lather. I had read on one bottle of body wash at least, that you could do that so thought why spend the extra money? Friday I was on a spending spree for pampering myself a little, bought myself another body mist, a new shaver because my disposable razors had run out and some shaving gel for the first time in years. Who knows, maybe the razor has something to do with it too. I got a more expensive razor this time, a kind I used to use, but stopped a year or two ago. I realized I could use cheaper razors and they actually didn't cut up my legs.

This morning shaving my legs was a totally different experience. I used my shaving gel and new razor and the razor glided across my legs! There wasn't that feeling and sound of razor against my legs that I am used to. I thought, "This can't be working, is this a faulty blade or something? Did I take the cover off the blade?" Well, it worked and my legs felt as smooth as they used to in the good old days that I so fondly remembered from my youth. I guess it pays to pay a little more doesn't it? Shaving gel, how do I love thee. . . ? I know a lot of you already knew this but it is a huge relief to me that the days of satin soft legs are not over.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Kirsten, I'm glad all is not yet lost.

Robin said...

I love the dialogue between you and David. :) Yeah, I stopped buying shaving gel awhile back, too, but I really didn't notice a difference. You mean there IS one? I guess I have low standards.

Rebekah said...

I shall have to remember this the next time I want to pamper myself. I buy the midlevel cheapo razor. Mine still have the little mosturizer strip. My legs are super itchy today. . .perhaps it is time to buy some shaving gel. Now the question is, are all shaving gels created equal? Must you buy Skintimate or not?

Kristin said...

It took me a while to notice a difference. I don't think I noticed how much a difference until I tried using it again today. I just bought it for the luxury of it. It may be in Texas you don't need every bit of moisture you can get...like you need in the desert.
I don't think you do need Skintimate. I remember using cheapo Colgate shaving cream as a teenager and that working great. That was when I was a teenager though. You would have to experiment.

Robin said...

Yes, here in Texas we do have that wonderful thing called humidity! It's not so bad yet, since we're still in cooler temperatures, but summer is another story.

Heidi said...

I always use shaving gel and if I run out, I go without shaving before I try using something else. : ) I have really dry skin and shaving without gel is not a good thing. I buy nicer razors because they ALWAYS have coupons for them in the paper. I usually get them for at least half price.

Andrea B. said...

First let me say, I can't believe you shave every other day - that would kill me. Maybe I should count my blessings that I'm not super prickly and can go a week with no problem. But maybe I should feel bad for you too!!

Well, none the less, if buying a good razor and shaving jell is your type of pampering, Tim should feel lucky!!!

Kristin said...

Ask Tim how often I really stick to that schedule. It is really a best case scenario...especially in the winter.