Monday, May 05, 2008

Warning: Pictures of cute kids being sad here-in.

I think childhood receives a lot of undeserved glory. It isn't all bad but you put up with a lot of things as a kid you just don't have to worry about as a grown up. I am not one of those parents who watches my kids and wishes I was a kid again. I love being an adult. I guess the one exception is when I tuck them in at night and I wish I could go to bed at the same time but can't because I need to do a bunch of other things first. YAWN!

Adulthood means getting to stay up when you want to (and when you don't) spending your money on stupid things you can't afford, taking a lunch hour and eating at your favorite resturaunt (once in a while), having your own place your parents don't tell you to clean up all the time, etc etc.

Here are a few things I thought of that I don't miss about being a kid:
1. Being sent to bed when you aren't tired- I am still rebelious and love to stay up late. I like telling myself when to go to bed. Despite my sediment above.
2. Being told your haircut looks stupid-Joes classmate told him this. The worst thing I have to worry about is noone saying anything after a haircut...that kind of says it all. If someone does say somthing rude I know they are just jerks. Kids might not know that.

3. Getting shots (4 at a time) without much of a warning while your mom holds you down. Lincoln delt with that one today, poor kid.
4. Teething and diaper rash- What a rude way to be welcomed to the world.
5. Falling off your chair during dinner-usually not a problem for me.

6. Knocking your head into door knobs-I just don't deal with that anymore.

7. Being told what to eat-Having to take what your parents serve every night. Like it or not.

8. Puberty-need I say more about that?

9. Soap and water in your eyes: I have figured out how to avoid that for the most part. I try to teach my kids but they don't always cooperate. Tear free isn't necessarily so..at least according to my kids. I havn't rubbed it in my eyes to prove them wrong yet. 10. Teenage infatuation - Oh the unquenchable agony of it all.
Granted there are a lot of less fun things about being an adult (I may write another blog about the pains of adulthood too so be patient if this entry disagrees with you) but all in all, in my opinion, adulthood is better. So do your kids a favor and don't tell them these are the best years of their lives so enjoy them. Life usually gets better. Make sure they know that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh there are so many reasons not to be a kid! Great pictures btw.

Robin said...

Very interesting post on a topic I like to think I sometimes agree with. Being a kid isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Andrea B. said...

I heard about the Dr. appointment and the yuck that followed the four shots. Sorry!!!