Thursday, May 15, 2008

Death and Taxes


I had to call the IRS today to straighten up something I screwed up on on our taxes. Tim did the taxes just fine. It was my little part of filling out the SSN#s that was done wrong. It took an hour and 15 minutes to straiten it all up. After waiting on hold for the next available representative for 15 minutes, explaining the problem being put on hold while they solved the problem, I was hung up on! So I called again, waited 15 mins again, explained the problem again, waited for 1/2 an hour more while they fixed the problem again and that was that. At least the second person had the wisdom to get my phone # in case we got disconnected.

The moral of that story? Don't get your kids' SSN#s off of the copies of last years tax forms. The copy wont show the numbers correctly. It WILL save you time to just look at the actual Social security cards themselves in the long run. The tax guy was kind enough to give me some advice. "To avoid this in the future, make sure you check the documents before sending in the tax return" As if the hour long wait wasnt' enough to drive that one home for me.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Ugh! I don't hate taxes nearly as much as I hate waiting on the phone. Even if you get some money back from the IRS, you will never get that hour back. Ugh again!

Andrea B. said...

Yuck!! What a pain in the butt!!

CarrieAnne said...

Uh..what? So what you're telling me is that the number I used for Tessa wasn't correct? Cause I got it off last years tax return.

I have to call them anyway. I still haven't gotten my "stimulus" check. We "should" have gotten it by May 2nd.