Thursday, March 27, 2008

Blast from the Past

In the last two weeks I have been contacted by 4 friends from my past (10 years or more since I have seen them.) Crazy No? It has been awesome and it feels like I am stuck in an episode of "This is Your Life"

First an old friend from BYU commented on a blog out of the blue last week. We got in touch and she passed our e-mail on to two more friends that we all spent time with. We exchanged e-mails and now we keep in touch with two of them with our blogs. Blogs are awesome! I dont' think we would stay in touch as well if we didn't have them. They are part of my social circle even though they are miles away. Happy to have you back in our lives girls! Sarah, GET A BLOG!

Then yesterday I get a call from an old friend of my brother and I. Actually he was more my big brothers friend, and being my brother's friend, I chased the poor boy incessently in much of highschool. He was a good sport through it all though and was always a friend so I have forgiven him for not returning my hormone ridden affections long ago.

Anyway, I found him through Classmates.com about a year and a half ago. We got caught up and then kind of went on with our lives. He called yesterday to tell me he is marrying the girl he was dating in highschool. They had both gone their seperate ways long ago but have managed to get together again after all these years. They are having the wedding in Salt Lake City and wanted to know if we could come. How awesome is that?

To add to that, my family knew both his family(my mom met his parents on a trip to Israel and were good friends before they moved into our ward), and the brides family and they will all be there too of course. They are also inviting some other people we knew. We were all in the same ward in Germany. This will be a great reunion. I am so excited to see all of them again.

There is something grand and deeply meaninguful to me about seeing old friends again after many years. I think it has something to do with the "Circle of Life" (Disney, Lion King. . . I don't want to be sued for copyright infringement) It is a reminder of how small this world is and how short our lives really are. I am still the same person I was 10, 20 years ago and I am able to be grateful for everything that has happened in my life, then, now and everything in between.

I am feeling very blessed to have all these old friends to add to the great new ones I have made in the last few years. How does the song go "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold" I don't think any of you are silver however.

7 comments:

Robin said...

I've also loved being back in touch. Is it just me or does it really not seem like it's been as long as it has been? I still have such vivid memories. Too bad we all can't live closer to each other like we used to. Bummer.

Kristin said...

Yes indeed Robin, I remember fondly when we were all at the State Mental Hospital together and you, Tim and I would hang out in the Cafeteria. Great conversations! Those were the good old days. I suppose it would be important to mention that we were volunteering there and not inmates... for the benefit of those who were not there and might be confused, although probably not surprised :^0

Robin said...

Now I am confused! I remember volunteering there, but I do not remember you and Tim volunteering there. I do, however, remember your brother, David, driving me there one time. He got out of his car to snap a few pictures of the buildings (must have looked historic or something) and he got into a little trouble because that was not allowed. I don't think they took his camera away, but I could be wrong. The only cafeteria memories I have of you and Tim must have been the Morris Center.

Favorite memory of the State Hospital (besides, obviously, David and his camera): One patient/client/resident whatever came up to me (could have been my first day) and said:

"You know why we're all here? Because we're not all there!"

There coming to take me away, ha ha... Wait, can't I finish this one last..."

Kristin said...

TIm volunteered for his criminal delinquency class. I went with him being the fiancee. You were there a time or two when we were there. I am sure our schedules didn't always match. But. sometimes. it did. Sniff. OH I AM SO OFFENEDED ROBIN! :^)

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin said...

I'm sorry I don't remember our encounter at the MENTAL INSTITUTION. I may have been heavily medicated, or perhaps you were hallucinating...

Andrea B. said...

What an interesting turn of events. Isn't it great to have a blog!!