Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The cats have "it" indeed!

Unfortunatly the "it" the cats have (had) is called Panleukopenia. An illness often deadly and very contagious among cats. I am sad to announce that we found the white cat had passed away in the night. We noticed it didn't seem to be eating when we brought it home. We did one last way to see if he was eating at all and the next morning he was dead and now his sister wasn't eating either. We brought them both back to the shelter. Now the bathroom that was perfect for starting the cats off is contaminated too. Of course we will clean and disinfect it but if we get other cats they will have to start in a different room and that is where we would want to put the upstairs litterbox. Now I have to convince myself I want cats AGAIN. They almost had me convinced until this morning. I will probably do it again though. Wish us luck this time. A friend tells me that shelter kittens are notorious for dying. Perhaps we will have to try another rout next time. Perhaps we will be gluttons for punishment and try a shelter again. At least they died feeling loved and cared for.

4 comments:

Andrea B. said...

Sorry to hear about the kittens. I hope it wasn't too hard for the kids. And I hope it doesn't turn you off to pets for good.

Heidi said...

This is why we no longer have fish. It is hard for the children when they die and then we have to go buy more.

The shelters around here check for diseases before they adopt them out. Doesn't your local shelter do this? You could check to see if there is a cat rescue program near you. I don't know if they have these for cats but I know they take really good care of dogs.

Good luck with the second time around!

Sarah said...

Oh! I'm so sorry!

Trooly said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! I grew up with a house full of pets (at one time we had 3 dogs and 2 cats) and know how much a part of the family they can become...