Friday, June 20, 2008

Twice Smitten

Ok. so maybe we are crazy and cruel. We got new kittens. Why did I do this? I guess I am sold on cats. I really missed the other kittens. I am already addicted to their calming effets.
We are taking a lot of precautions to avoid exposing these kittnes to the others germs. The last kittens were in our top floor bathroom and a little in the upstairs hallway. These kittens are in the basement, in the sewing room. The other cats traveled in our laps on the way home, these ones traveled in a new carrier the other ones never came close to. I disinfected the bathroom with bleach and the car with disinfectant spray. We aren't using the dishes and blankets the others used until they are all immuned. Can you tell I feel a little nervous and guilty for taking the chance of exposing these ones?

We didn't get these ones from the shelter, I didn't want to take that particular risk again. We went through classifieds (KSL). They come from someone that seemed to be taking very good care of them and they still hung out with their mom a little. This time when we left with our kitties, we felt more like we were being mean rather than merciful. Not to mention we took them straight to the vet to get shots before we took them home. I am sure they loved that. They have to get 3 rounds of shots before they are completely immune to the thing the others got (a.k.a Distemper) so we are going to be overly careful this time not letting little kids from the neighborhood pet them in case they could spread this disease after petting other animals and always washing our hands before we play with them. Have I convinced you yet that we are going to be VERY careful? I am not sure I have convinced myself.

These two are boys and one is orange and white and the other a tuxedo cat (black with white tummy and paws) As of now they are named Merry and Pippin. That is subject to change though. Tim is having WAY too much fun coming up with names and probably wont give up this easy. They love to wrestle with eachother. Very cute little guys! Lets hope everything goes ok this time. We will take some pictures later today and post them later.

My kids dealt with the loss very well. I am sure it didn't hurt that they didn't get a chance to get too attached in one and a half days.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

Oh how sad! Lauren's little fish died after about three weeks. A friend with fish said it sounded like it was sick when we bought it. That is so much more traumatic with little kittens though. I hope these new ones do much better.

Sarah said...

I love the names. Rich is the same with naming. There is always something better. I'm so glad you decided to get more. I'm sure your family doesn't mind the extra precautions. They sound like such wonderful kids.

Andrea B. said...

At the very least you have intentions of being very cautious. Hope all goes well.

Robin said...

Good luck with the new pets! Post pics soon, please! :)