Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Life in a Cat House


No not that kind!
So here it is a week of living with cats. I guess it has been longer, but since we got our second set. I thought I better report for anyone who doesn't have pets and is wondering what my experience is as a new pet owner. I often remember, wait. . . I don't like cats. . why am I living with them? I keep having half dreams at night and waking up to thinking the cats are in my room, other than that it is fine. This is what I like about having cats:

The Pros:
1. Keeping the litter box clean is super easy (get the kids to do it. When they complain remind them they are the ones that wanted a pet so much).

2. I appreciate a lot that cats like to keep themselves clean and have a litter box that is clean. I can live with an animal that shares my goals of having a clean house, body and toilet.
3. I appreciate also that they use their litter box. I really don't want to potty train anymore individuals than I have to.

4. The pet aisle has taken on the same level of excitement and fulfillment that the baby aisle used to. Weird. . I didn't realize it but the idea of visiting the pet store has the same fun feeling as shopping for new baby stuff used to. I can see how pets can be a good fill in for kids

5. I like that they like to fall asleep on our laps. It makes me realize how good it feels to cuddle my kids too. I am glad I still have a 3 year old cuddle on my lap.

6. It is fun to see them just come in the room just another individual to keep me company.

7. It is fun to watch them play and sleep.

8. Seeing how happy the family is, including Tim and I, for have these cute and fuzzy friends arond.


The cons
1. They are always play fighting. Drives me nuts. I wonder. . ."Am I being a bad owner for not splitting them up? I wouldn't let my kids do that!
2. I am constantly worried about them getting sick like the others did.

3. I want to let them go out to the rest of the house. Right now they are just in the basement. There are two reasons: 1. We don't want them to come in contact with the upstairs bathroom where the sick kitties were until they have recieved their shots. and 2. we don't know if kids or grown-ups can be trusted not to just leave doors to the outside just hanging open. They could run away and be more easily hurt or come in contact with sick animals, at least until they get all their shots. I feel bad keeping them in the dark basement all the time. Granted there are windows but it is only bright in the morning.

4. Disciplining kids-One of our kids doesn't seem to understand if the kittnens don't want to play to leave them alone. Not to pick them up, not to run after them when they want to be alone. I can't tell you how many times we have banished him to the upstairs because after countless times of reprimanding he JUST DOES NOT GET IT! When we came down stairs today another one of the kids had the kittens face close up to the tv screen. The cat was not happy. So three kids got sent upstairs.

5. Dread of destruction: I know cats scratch. I am preparing myself now for the consequences of that.
6. I am worried about getting nipped and scratched or even the kids getting bitten or scratched
7. I feel really guilty that some of my friends or their kids are allergic to cats. I wonder how inconsiderate it was of me to do that and make them feel in any way less comfortable in my home. I know how I feel about pets in general so I don't want make others uncomfortable because of the animals I have.
8, What do we do with our cats when we are out of town?

So all in all, I am pleased so far with the cat experience. My concerns are mostly due to getting used to the idea and not knowing how everything works yet. All in all it is more fun than I thought it would be, and easier too.

4 comments:

Andrea B. said...

I'm glad you are enjoying it for the most part. It sounds like some of your worries should remedy themselves once the kittens get their shots.

Sarah said...

I am very happy for you and very jealous of you. Penelope and I would like another cat. Rich doesn't agree.

Kristin said...

One of the reasons we got two is I hear if you have two cats they occupy eachother and get into less mischif (sp?) because they keep eachother company and keep eachother busy. Tell him that. . although you probably already did.
I liked that idea. SO far I am glad I did.

CarrieAnne said...

I LOVE having a cat too! I'm allergic to it but I still LOVE having the thing around! She's so cute and friendly and low maintenance.

Cats are a great pet! When they cuddle it's so cute. As for the play fighting thing, they'll grow out of it. Kittens are a lot more work than big cats. Give them a year to get out of the kitten phase. And buy a scratching post for every level of your house. I've heard you should have a litter box for every level too. We mostly stay upstairs so we only have one. And the cat is an outside cat who only goes in the litter box once a month or less.

Uh...let's talk about cats sometime.