Sunday, June 15, 2008

Cats vs Dogs



We are looking into buying a cat or dog. Tim grew up with both and I grew up with neither. We are having a hard time deciding. I am having a hard time being convinced I really want either. They are a lot of work and I am not used to having animals in the house. What little experience we have had (rats) did not endear me to the idea of a pet either. I could see myself warming up more to a cat than a rat though.
Tim and many other sources tell me pets are very good for children's emotional health. I know my kids would benefit from having a pet too. I wanted to wait 'til my kids were a little older but we have been told that now is the time to get a pet so they can grow up with the kids and die about the time they move out. I know there are going to be people of many opinions on the subject and passionnate opinions for that matter. I know it is a matter of personal taste. But what are the benefits and disadvantages to each kind? Can anyone tell me anything that will actually make me exited about the prospect of animals in the house. Pets seem like just a hassle to me.

I am leaning toward a cat, possibly two if anything because they seem to be much less work. That doesn't seem like a good reason to get a pet but it isn't just me getting it. A smaller dog would be fun too...but I am not sure we are up for the work they take. . . yet. . if you know Lincoln, you know he would do great and maybe better with a dog. I believe I could be converted to life with a pet and some day when I am a lonely widow I am pretty sure I would want a pet but I am hesitant about getting one while I still have small kids in the house.
Decisions Decisions

3 comments:

Robin said...

I only had (small) dogs growing up...and never more than one at a time. The one that I grew most attached to ended up going to the pound (when I was about 15) because she chased kids on their bikes and my parents claimed they were worried a kid would get hurt and they'd be sued. I was devastated about the "loss" of my dog. I figured I could have one when I had a place of my own, but Chris is not an animal lover. I tried to convince him to change his mind at one point, but I never succeeded and now I am glad because they require almost as much work as a child and I would be caring for it myself. So, I am with you when you say you feel that pets would be more of a hassle. I'm pretty positive that I'm glad to not have pets.

If we were to suddenly change our minds and get a pet, I'd most likely go with a dog myself. While I've never had a cat, I tend to view them as less sociable than dogs, but some animals (both dogs and cats alike) can be one way or the other. (It may also be that cats require less work because they don't need as much attention???) You just have to be a little choosy on breeds or take some time to go to a shelter and get a feel for some of the animals.

Good luck!

Andrea B. said...

Well, I will give my opinion, but Tim will probably not be happy about what I say.

I am a no pet person. Like you, I did not grow up with pets, and detest the idea of pets in the house.

As a kid, I really wanted a pet, and can understand how much your children want a pet.

If you decided on a pet, my recommendation would be - aim for one that does not shed, or sheds very little.

Unknown said...

I like cats and dogs, but I HATE pet hair . . . a lot!

The main reason we aren't getting a pet, even thought the kids really want a cat or a dog is because we had a hard time dealing with the whole death issue with our last dog.

What a mess. But uh, you should totally get a pet.