Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Experimental Eye Surgery and other great deals.

Sounds like fun huh? Tim jumped on the chance to get Lasik for cheaper because he agreed to be part of a study at the Moran Eye Center (Highly Reputable Eye clinic, part of Uof U) . OK. . . so "Jump" may be the wrong word. He actually went into it quite cautiously. . . if it is possible to be part of a research study and be cautious at the same time. Anyway, he got half off for being in the study and the study is to have one eye corrected with Lasik and the other with PRK. The doctors wanted to see how the healing differs etc.

He had the surgery on Monday afternoon. He has interesting stories about suction cups on his Lasik eye and ice water being poured into the other. The PRK is described as getting a "really nasty rug burn on your eye" That is the one that is causing him more discomfort in his recovery. The upside of the PRK is that it is supposed to produce more satisfactory results. . . in about 5 weeks. Right now his PRK eye is sore and blurry.

He is being a good sport and I am having fun nursing him to health. He isn't one of those husbands that whines and complains a lot thankfully. If anyone wants to know what it is like to have either surgery and what the pros and cons are be sure to ask Tim. He is one of the few who can give you a first hand description of both kinds of surgery. You might want to wait five weeks if you want to get a report of his satisfaction.

3 comments:

CarrieAnne said...

SWEET! I've wondered if Aaron would like the PRK. I've had some issues with the Lasik I got and I don't think Aaron would be happy with it.

I'm gonna talk up the Tim guy when he's all healed, FOR SURE!

Kristin said...

CarrieAnne, I didn't know you had a cat. Sweet. Yes, I have heard about the scratching post and litter box on each floor and intend to do so when they are allowed on the rest of the floors. Yes...we definitely have to talk cats next time we get together. I have a cheesy whistle with "Forks Washington" printed on it, so no it isn't a fork...but not a whole lot more exciting either.

Rebekah said...

Brave Timothy. My physics professor graphically described his Lasik surgery to us in class. . .that kind of convinced me I never wanted to do it. The PRK sounds really painful. I'll have to get Timothy's opinion too, especially once the healing is done.