Monday, April 14, 2008

Busy Week Ahead, and Guilt to Boot.

These are my favorite stress foods
.
This week I am feeling a little bit stressed. I have to
1. Write a 3-5 page paper
2. Record an interview showing all the interviewing skills I learned this semester
3. Pass out recipe cards to 15 sisters in the ward so they can fill them out and get them to me to make a ward cook book. Doesn't sound so hard does it? But I have to make sure I give it to them in person. That means I need to either go out 15 seperate times (these people are not my next door neighbors, I have to drive or walk a little while for all of them) when it is good for them, or find a time that is good for all of them to be at home at the same time. HA! I am not looking forward to it.
4. Get food to refill our 72 hour kit meals.
5. Kids are home from school all week so I have to keep them happy I guess.

Today I went to the library with the kids. Then they asked. . . "Mom, can we go to the park today?" I tried to think how I could possibly want to do that. Today was a beautiful day and the next two days at least, maybe more, are not supposed to be as nice so it seemed a shame not to go and enjoy the weather. Maybe we could have a picnic lunch too, maybe we could go to a different park then our standard one. These all turned out not to be. I just got more and more stressed trying to make it happen and thinking of not getting to work on my dreaded tasks.

I took the kids to the store and looked for picnic food on the way home from the library. I bought my ultimate temptation food that I usually don't allow myself to buy, Cheetos. You can tell I am stressed when I buy one of my 3 temptaion foods. Cheetos, Cheese Its or Oreos. Watch out, Mom is stressed !!! At least the kids get a bunch of it too, so they don't generally complain. Usually it is "Hooray!"s all around. I also did research on possible ideas I had for 72 hour kit menus. All of them expire in the next few months so I can't buy them darn it. Back to the drawing board I guess.

I spent the rest of the afternoon making progress on the other three items on my to do list. I worked on my paper (now I just have to reread it one more time Friday night), made an appointment to have the interview take place tomorrow night and put together packets for the recipe cards to be handed out. Now I will be more at ease about everything and more fun for the kids to hang around. Maybe I might even clean the cyclone that is my house right now. Tim is being awesome and making dinner.

I had a productive day right? I have felt less guilt on far less productive days. I did something to accomplish every thing on my to do list today. Took the kids to the library, checked on 72 hour kit stuff, bought the kids one of our favorite snacks, and worked on the other 3 projects. Why do I feel guilty? Because I didn't take the kids to the park! It was a beautiful day but I put my own comfort of mind over their entertainment and health. No wonder so many Moms are on Prozac. . or Cheetos. Enough is never enough. You could have always eaten. . I mean done more.

3 comments:

Robin said...

OK, you did A LOT! There will be other days to go to the park, or perhaps Tim can be awesome another day and take them to the park when he gets home from work sometime (when it's not cold and/or rainy.)

Now, here's my beef: Why do YOU have to drive around to deliver recipe cards in person to 15 sisters? Why cannot 15 sisters make ONE TRIP EACH to see you so that you can work on whatever you need to do at home? Seriously... I would be willing to do that if I were one of the 15. If you haven't already made the trips, consider it. Isn't the church about simplifying so that we can spend more time with our families?

As if it will help you feel better, I had a very stressful day today, too. :)

Robin said...

P.S. I love Double Stuf Oreos, and I am guessing Wiz on the photo of the week. :) And she wasn't who I was originally going to go with. You thought you were being tricky!

Andrea B. said...

Hate the dreaded guilt. Don't worry about it too much, just try to get them to the park before too long, and you did give them Cheetos. Hey, if you do find food for your 72 hour kits, let me know. My kits were made in 2003 (5 years ago), they need an overhaul.