Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Can't Get Enough of the "Good Stuff" Part 2

4:53 a.m. this morning I awoke to a sound, much like the sound of wood screeching against wood. I had to think about it for a while in my half asleep daze. Is that Sam? At this hour? No way. . .he is peacefully asleep in his bed. Maybe I imagined it. Maybe it was something else entirely. I then heard the sound of cupboard doors being opened and closed. I decided either it is Sam or we have a very short home invader in our kitchen rummaging for food.

I went to Sam's room and sure enough his bed was empty. I went downstairs, in the pitch dark mind you. Turned on the light and there stood Sam holding a bag of chopped walnuts. He had a big smile on his face and held up his bag "Food Mom!!" He was so pleased with himself.

As a mother, my job is to teach him the skills of independence and innovation. I should have been proud of him taking care of himself and not waking me up to get him a snack at this hour. Unfortunatly at 4:53 a.m. kids in general don't get a lot of positivie reinforcement for showing these skills. Darn good thing he is such a cutie pie or he would have gotten a lot more than a small swat on the bum and put back in his bed. God knew what he was doing when he made our 2 year olds so cute. Maybe the teenage years would be easier if our kids weren't losing their cuteness by that time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When Madison was about 4 and Kai was 2, I woke up in the wee hours of the morning to find them hiding in Maddie's with a 2 liter of Coke and a bag of cheerios. I was pretty mad, now I wish I'd taken a picture.

I am guessing Tim on the picture btw.

Robin said...

When Zachary was about 16 months old, I found him next to my bed with a Hershey bar, chocolate hands and a chocolate face. "Mmmmmmm!" I have so much less patience now (so sad), so I'm glad I thought that was cute back then.

I'm surprised at Sam's choice for a snack. My kids don't care much at all for nuts. I need to see more pictures of your kids. :)

Robin said...

Very cute picture! Hi, Sam!