Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Here I Go Again!

When Tim and I lived in our old house we had lots of excuses for not working out more. One of them was that we didn't live closer to the rec center because if we did? We would be working out EVERY DAY!

Well. Now we live in another house and as it is we can see the rec center from our bedroom window, and our house from the Rec Center entrance. We also have a cheap years membership because of Tim's working at UVSC and we get a large group discount. The only thing between us and the rec center is the track that belongs to the rec center which means a 7 minute stroll. How rediculous is that? We have been living here since September and guess what. We have NOT been working out every day. Except for a date or two we havn't worked out at all...not at the rec center anyway.

I think spring helps wake you up or something because every spring I start thinking...ummm why AREN'T we getting up early and working out? I think the answer would always be...because in the winter it is too dang cold and dark to be parting from one's bed a single milisecond earlier than you absolutely have to to survive in this world. The rest of the day is just too crazy really.
Anyway last Friday Tim and I had one of those moments of rediscovery. Now we have been working out . . two days. It is just a start but at least it is a start.

The best part I find is that there isn't that constant nagging reminder in my head ...."I need to find sometime to exercise today." Exercising makes me be a little more picky about what I eat too. I am not going to get up early, sweat on a treadmill or eliptical for 1/2 an hour to lose 110 calories, just to replace them with a Twinkie. I am not saying I resist all sweets but the cheapo not so satisfying ones are easier to resist. You have put some investment in your health so you are going to work a little harder to protect the investment.

This happens every spring. I get excited about getting into shape again. I love it. I just wish I knew how to keep up the good habbits in the winter. They got to pot EVERY winter. No fail.

If you want to see what one of my treadmill workouts look like, here is a little peak. :^) The people at the rec center get kind of miffed that Tim and I take up all the treadmills.

6 comments:

Robin said...

I have seen this video before...so funny. Is that your brother Eric in the front? :)

I wish I could say the same about resisting sweets more because I am exercising. I think it's usually that I let myself slip a little more since I know I'm burning so many calories. Of course, with my normal workout, I burn almost 500 calories, so I can have a little treat every now and then.

I am guessing Lincoln on the picture of the week, but I suppose you could fool me a little more this week as long as you don't put a picture of a child wearing an outfit with pink cuffs on it. ;)

Kristin said...

Yeah, I didn't think that was going to be a hard one to guess with the pink cuffs and all. I Wasn't trying to make it hard or anything, more just showing off my cute kids. :) I also didn't say I find it easier to resist all sweets...the really good ones I have a harder time with for the reasons you expressed. but the less exciting ones I have an easier time with.

Robin said...

By the way, I love your pictures of the week, especially the top one. Who is in the background behind Wiz? Is it Lincoln? Anyway, the picture looks like it came out of a movie or something. Great photography!

Kristin said...

That is Lincoln in the backgorund. Tim took the picture. I will tell him you were impressed. I like the picture a lot too. He took a photography class at UVSC. I think he is quite talented myself.

Andrea B. said...

That is my favorite video clip. I store it on my desktop to perk me up!! Way to go. It's so hard to keep the routine of working out. I hope you guys do

Trooly said...

I think that is my new all-time favorite music video!!! Thanks so much!!