Monday, April 14, 2008

Spring Break! (not what it is for some but nice none the less)

I had a great weekend! Beautiful weather first and most of all. My family and I could not get enough of the sunshine. We finished the square foot garden preperations on Thursday night. Tim made a box that gives us 4 x 10 square feet. Filled it with fertilizer and top soil and marked each square foot off with string. We bought and planted our first crop of strawberries and rhubarb friday night. This year for the first time I am very interested in being involved in the garden project. In the past I just let Tim do it. I don't know if it is just that our youngest is now almost preschool age so I feel more free to persue hobbies like gardening or if it is I am SO SICK of being inside and am looking for excuses to be outside these days. I might also be tired of having to answer the question of "What are you planting this year?" with "You will have to ask Tim."

Saturday we went to Lowes and Walmart and bought some more vegetables and herbs for our garden. I surprised myself with how excited I was to see all the different choices and how excited I was to make them. Even better than that, the kids are excited too. We are involving them in the garden as well. They were almost as excited as me. We bought grape tomatos (my favorite), roma tomatos, basil, green bell peppers, carrot seeds, corn seeds, lemon balm, peppermint, rosemary, acorn squash seeds, and maybe an herb or more I can't remember at the moment. (You will have to ask Tim :) )

After gorging ourselves on Red Robin burgers and bottomless fries we came home and planted our new harvest. We also enjoyed our new sunburns. I do this every year. I embrace the first signs of sun and then I remember, oops...the sun is not as friendly as I remembered it andI need to protect myself and my family.

Sunday we had Family Home Evening in the back yard. We made 72 hourkits last year and so we went thorugh our inventory and got rid of the old food and made sure we had all the non food stuff in our bags.. We plan on repacking everyones bags with new food and inventoried supplies next Sunday. I really hope we don't have need for our 72 hour kits between now and then or are we going to be an unhappy family. The one week we decide we can risk being without. My kids are gorging themselves on granola bars, fruit snacks and trail mix. If anyone has a good menu for a 72 hour kit please let me know. Fruit snacks get really gross after a year just as a warning. I am looking for ideas. So far we have not been pleased by the ones we have seen. After FHE the kids played for hours on the hammock and the new tree swing that Tim made at Joes insistance.

I love Spring. Too bad we wont be able to enjoy it all week. It is supposed to be 40 degrees the next two days and rainy. YUCK! It is spring break for the kids this week too so if it is icky I can't send kids out to play. My older kids are home to help entertain and watch my younger kids. What a nice break for me that is. I slept in until 10 a. m. today! I love spring break!

4 comments:

Robin said...

Wow! I'm very impressed by the garden preparations and the 72-hour kits in the making! I, too, have yet to get into gardening, and we don't have real kits, but sometime toward the end of last year, I put all our food storage into its own closet and have been filling that over time with necessities. I was just happy to have gotten that far. I want to do 72 hour kits, and I think I have a list I can email to you to see if you like it.

Robin said...

P.S. The vegetable/herb/fruit variety that you have planted sounds awesome!!!

Rebekah said...

Great garden! I can't wait to be able to plant my own garden.

Andrea B. said...

Things to add to my to do list - 72 hour kits (for real); garden. Thanks for being a good example.